Friday, October 26, 2012

Capullo

The beautiful chrysalis of the monarch and what the caterpillar looks like when it is getting ready to pupate.

I found a caterpillar:)  I think I found it on a milkweed plant on my side yard near the airconditioner.  It seems monarchs are on the decline so planting some milkweed (The scientific name is Asclepias) may help the numbers to increase.  Kentucky is Zone 6a-7a so The wheels are turning in my thinkcap and I am already wondering where I can get some seeds.  We have had great success with butterflies.  This will be the 3rd time we have found caterpillars and put them in this here lucky container and they made CAPULLOS (spanish for cocoon) and then turned into butterflies. 
We have had swallowtails:


We also had a 3 that turned into little light green butterflies, almost white looking.  That was just a few months ago.  Summer 2012

Below is what we hope to see in  1-2 weeks.

This is a Monarch butterfly sipping nectar from a Tropical Milkweed (Asclepias curassavica) blossom.  Complements of Joyful Butterfly.

No comments: